Robinson R44 Transition Training Program
Welcome to the North Andover Helicopter Flight Academy R44 transition course outline. We are a helicopter flight school located just outside Boston, Massachusetts.
Our R44 transition course is designed to accommodate pilots traveling from a distance to Boston on a fixed schedule, or as an outline for local pilots to use around their own schedule. As an added feature, we have extra cross country flights planned for pilots with extra time, looking to enjoy their R44 transition with the added benefits of a cross country excursion or other area flight.
If you would like to include in your transition one of the cross country excursions, we offer many destinations which will add to your Robinson R44 transition experience. Some of the destinations include:
- New York City : We will fly into the Class Bravo, do the tour around the statue of liberty, and either land at a heliport or depart the area.
- Mountains of New Hampshire : We will take you up into the White Mountains via Route 93 and Franconia Notch, proceeding to the Mt. Washington Hotel. Prior arrangement is necessary, and weather is always a factor.
If you are traveling from a distance, we recommend scheduling in advance (we will assist you with this process), allowing a minimum of 4 days for the Robinson R44 transition, due to weather, mechanical, or any other
factors which always arise in aviation. The actual training takes 2 days, but it is nice to have the extra time. There are many sights to see in the Boston area, by helicopter or
by land. We will also be happy to assist in arranging ground transportation and/or shuttle from the airport, as well as guidance to the many local hotels. Call us at 978-689-7600 for more information.
The Transition Course consists of the following - included as per SFAR 73:
- (A) Enhanced training in autorotation procedures;
- (B) Engine rotor RPM control without the use of the governor;
- (C) Low rotor RPM recognition and recovery; and
- (D) Effects of low G maneuvers and proper recovery procedures.
Here is our recommended schedule for the Robinson R44 transition training:
- Review your qualifications/needs with our staff
- Order the Robinson R44 POH for study
- We will email our SFAR Quiz required for completion
Day 1 (may be 2 flights)
- SFAR Review
- TSA and flight school paperwork
- Aircraft Preflight and Familiarization
- POH Review (to enhance prior reading)
- Pattern Work
- Max Performance Departures
- Steep Approaches
- Air Taxi Procedures
- Rapid Decelerations
Day 2 (may be 2 flights)
- Question/Answer Session with our maintenance staff
- Max Glide
- 180 autorotations
- Low rotor RPM
- Governor failure
- Systems Emergencies
- Review ground questions and complete the SFAR quiz
- Dinner and the local sights!
Basically, your Robinson R44 transition includes almost everything in the Practical Test Standards Guide, minus a few maneuvers.
We cannot guarantee 5 hours as a checkout time, but we will try our best to fit your schedule. We also recommend scheduling in advance if you are traveling. We prefer to schedule the aircraft for the entire day for travel students to ensure flight time.